"How did it come to pass that an opposition's measure of a president's foreign policy was all or nothing, success or "failure"? The answer is that the political absolutism now normal in Washington arrived at the moment--Nov. 7, 2000--that our politics subordinated even a war against terror to seizing the office of the presidency." - Daniel Henninger - WSJ 11/18/05
------------------------------------------------
"the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." - George Orwell
------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

SPIEGEL Interview with Steven Spielberg: "I Would Die For Israel" - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

SPIEGEL Interview with Steven Spielberg: "I Would Die For Israel" - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

This sounds like an interesting interview, though I have only perused it, I get the impression there is some good fodder in here.

Spielberg refers to commentary regarding his film with this statement "It saddens me to see how narrow-minded and dogmatic some of the right-wing fundamentalists here in the USA are."

I haven't read all there is to read about the film, though I do know there have been good and bad comments about it. Interesting that he calls them "narrow-minded and dogmatic right-wing fundamentalists." That doesn't sound like a good stepping off point for someone lecturing from a thoughtful "understand your enemy" stance.

When asked by der Spiegel about opponents saying he "humanize"(s) terror, Spielberg says, "Do these critics really mean that terrorists are not human beings? I try not to demonize them."

It is all well and good to understand your enemy and what drives them, but from what I gather so far, he seems to imply that this would be the "big fix" for peace. It certainly is a piece of it.

Give this a read, I will.

One last thing. I will likely see this movie since I get tired of people saying one thing or another; I'll watch it and make up my own mind. Do yourself a favor, if you are truly interested in this subject read some books; one of which would be the one the film is based on, "Vengeance" by George Jonas.

Not that you would, but never use a movie as a history lesson; if you want to know the true history that is.

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks