"How did it come to pass that an opposition's measure of a president's foreign policy was all or nothing, success or "failure"? The answer is that the political absolutism now normal in Washington arrived at the moment--Nov. 7, 2000--that our politics subordinated even a war against terror to seizing the office of the presidency." - Daniel Henninger - WSJ 11/18/05
------------------------------------------------
"the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." - George Orwell
------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 20, 2006

Wayward Christian Soldiers - NYT

We live in a day and age of misinformation, where he who screams loudest wins the argument or at least is heard from most often.

I’m not an Evangelical, though I did go to church growing up and now, not due to it tend to stay away from organized anything, especially if the “organized” is not saying exactly what I am saying; I don’t want to be spoken for. My God is a just God. What does that mean? Too much for words or too much for my patience and ability to put into words right now.

I think maybe the Evangelicals/Christians in general are up against and have been up against the secular side of things; a secular side of things that is all the more present due to technology. By this I mean, for one thing, is the oft repeated “wall of separation.” The morals/laws as far as I see it have been guided by a Christian edict, and the seeming disregard for this basis in todays world terrifies “true believers.” This certainly is a fair enough concern especially when the “loudest” seem to have no regard for this understanding and appear to fear/dislike “bible thumpers.” The “anti-bible-thumpists” and fundamentalists could go along way toward understanding were this simple idea grasped by those in the “anti” camp.

Any way, this isn’t really refuting, agreeing or discussing the subject of the editorial, especially since I haven’t added anything, but to touch on it slightly the heads of any group tend to seem to get wrapped up in themselves and can go off half cocked. This of course, is not good as the editorialists point is driven home if this negates the positive message(s) of their beliefs.

For me, God did not say the Iraq war is a GOOD thing, however, somehow my underlying belief/understanding let’s me see when there may not be another choice. Do we wait and see what happens if the “Islamo-fascists,” are not dealt with face to face and run the risk of nuclear oblivion? Do we meet the threat face to face and possibly speed the nuclear oblivion version along? I have no clue which would be the truth, but with each action a new possible outcome is laid out, of which no one step is wholly responsible for it. I do know that the inaction of the “wait and see,” led us to this point.

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks