"How did it come to pass that an opposition's measure of a president's foreign policy was all or nothing, success or "failure"? The answer is that the political absolutism now normal in Washington arrived at the moment--Nov. 7, 2000--that our politics subordinated even a war against terror to seizing the office of the presidency." - Daniel Henninger - WSJ 11/18/05
------------------------------------------------
"the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." - George Orwell
------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 27, 2006

On Oprah's Couch - New York Times

Oprah Winfrey did what we have so often waited for public figures to do: she admitted that she had made a mistake in supporting James Frey, the author of "A Million Little Pieces."

Excuse me if I don't buy into the heroics and bravery of Oprah with regard to this James Frey idiocy. Oprah is not a "public figure" in the sense the editorial seems to believe. Oprah is an entertainer and as much as the two may becoming more and more one and the same; as of yet it is not so.

I heard a clip this morning on the radio of Maureen "full-load" Dowd, as interviewed by Keith Olberman.

"DOWD: Well, Oprah Winfrey, who I think probably already had more credibility than the president, her credibility goes up, because unlike the president, she's willing to admit that, you know, she made a mistake, and face up to it." (Transcript)

WOW!!!! She also said a new category for books of this type should be created "maybe spurious nonfiction, spurless (ph) nonfiction." Her editorials would fit nicely into that category as well.

Anyway, I went off on some oddball process last week I believe in an attempt to put my thoughts into words. Unfortunately, I do not always perform well in the english as a first language category, for this I apologize. I bring this up as I tie and few more knots to my previous string of words (here).

This morning I read a piece in the OpinionJournal, which I feel fits rather nicely with where we may be headed. The media is adapting this philosophy very well, as is the Democratic party (Media + Democrats = DeMediacrats).

It's not about Oprah, Frey or any of those previously mentioned, but touches on my feeling that many insist on not facing reality and ignoring truth as DeMediacrats do. From Joseph Rago of the WSJ's opinion page, "Nontraditional Patriotism."

Personally I find the direction of news media, politics and entertainment all intertwining with one another at a quickening pace, which is scary and all too 1984.

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks