"How did it come to pass that an opposition's measure of a president's foreign policy was all or nothing, success or "failure"? The answer is that the political absolutism now normal in Washington arrived at the moment--Nov. 7, 2000--that our politics subordinated even a war against terror to seizing the office of the presidency." - Daniel Henninger - WSJ 11/18/05
------------------------------------------------
"the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." - George Orwell
------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

UAE, Dubai and 6 ports in the U.S.

Michelle Malkin: "But there is a teachable moment here that shouldn't be missed. The tone-deafness of the White House is bad. The craven political opportunism of the Democrats is worse."

Democrats and their "efforts to impose common-sense citizenship requirements on airport security workers in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks."

Democrats, fought fingerprinting "young mail temporary visa holders from terror-sponsoring, terror-friendly nations."

Democrats, "secretly attempted to remove funding for the National Security Exit-Entry Registration System."

Those are some quotes from her column, it is a definate read.

I certainly see her point in pointing out Democratic opportunism, as I and many/most others likely didn't quite look at it this way, which is ok by me. Because ultimately I won't hold it against Democrats and Republicans for that matter if something is actually done for our benefit. It isn't often that they pull their heads out, even if only for their gain.

I linked to a post at Opinionnation Times yesterday and posted a comment, something I rarely do; although, I needed his permalink, which was missing, so this comment doesn't really count. When I later returned to the site to get the permalink I read a comment from "Bubba," that a part of which was, "I think it's fascinating to watch the handful of people who still support Bush go through increasingly torturous rationalizations ("if Jimmy Carter supports President Bush on this contract deal then we better think twice and do the exact opposite") in order to justify their continued support for Bush." I felt the need to comment back, (one reason I don't comment as it is difficult to give up and if I wanted to chat in a forum I would; I just don't have the time for that, let alone blogging).

I guess I didn't understand the "fascinating to watch the handful of people who still support Bush go through increasingly torturous rationalizations," statement. The post was, afterall against the "Port" deal. The Jimmy Carter rationalization, is hardly a rationalization; it's fun! But if you stop and think about it, there is a lot of truth to it.

Bottom line, there are more than enough reasons not to go with this contract, regardless of any plusses (spelling just doesn't look right), it may have.

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks